Welcome to the first hotfix release of 2021 - let us hope it will be the last one. This release fixes SoundCloud, receiving some YouTube content, an app crash and brings you a new translation.
A short release, so this blog post is short as well. These are the fixes which found their way into this release:
- Thanks to @TiA4f8R, getting related videos from channels works again in YouTube. @XiangRongLin getting those for playlists works as well.
- @golfinq was able to bring back comments on YouTube, so you are able to enjoy reading what other people think.
- SoundCloud was completely broken, and now it is not. @TobiGr changed how NewPipe extracts the client ID from its website, which it then uses to extract more content from SoundCloud. @B0pol fixed geo-restricted content, which are for example the trending lists or the top 50 songs.
- In NewPipe itself was a crash when you tried to reorder channel groups. @Isira-Seneviratne hunted it down and fixed this crash.
Next to these fixes, two new features are part of this app now. NewPipe now correctly resolves custom subpaths from YouTube like
/w/. Northern Kurdish speakers can enjoy NewPipe in their language.
Where to get this brand-new version
NewPipe notifies you about new versions. You can download them when you press the notification, which will take you to the GitHub Releases page.
If you use the F-Droid app, it, too, notifies you about updates for NewPipe. Please keep in mind that it can take F-Droid a while to update their repository. If you have problems installing you may need to uninstall NewPipe and then install it afresh. (Make sure to backup data by exporting your database from the Content settings menu.)
If you already installed NewPipe from F-Droid’s repository, to get this version of NewPipe you can do one of the following:
- Wait for them to update
- Switch to NewPipe’s custom repository by following the directions in the announcement post
Note: If you installed NewPipe from GitHub Releases you will not have to uninstall NewPipe to switch to our custom repo. Just let it update your current version. Make sure you back up your data as mentioned in the warning at the top of the FAQ page!
Note: If you installed NewPipe from GitHub Releases you will not have to uninstall NewPipe to switch to our custom repo. Just let it update your current version.
Now that you’ve (hopefully) updated, please let us know what your experience of the latest release is, especially bugs in need of fixing. As usual, you can reach out to us via IRC (#newpipe on Libera.Chat), open issues on GitHub or, ideally, use our built-in crash reporter to send us machine-readable issue reports. You can even send in fixes yourself.
If you have any other questions feel free to post them in the comments here and someone will reply to you.